The rules of the River Griese Trout and Salmon Anglers Association are as follows:
- Only anglers who are fully paid up Club Members or Day Ticket holders are allowed to fish on the river.
- Fishing is predominately Fly Fishing, catch and release, using barbless hooks only.
- Ground baiting or the use of a float with flies is not allowed.
- Members must fish with one rod only. A second rod or handlines must not be used.
- The daily bag limit is two (2) with all trout or salmon of less than 9 inches in length returned to the river.
- Anglers must be prepared to show their fish to a member of the committee or appointed officer.
- When an angler has a pool occupied a Member must not ‘step’ in front of him and start fishing.
- Spinning is only allowed with single, barbless hooks on certain sections of the river (refer to Beat Maps).
- No live bait or float fishing is allowed on the river.
- Day Ticket holders are only permitted to fly fish.
- All anglers must have their Membership Card or Day Ticket in their possession at all times while on the river and be willing to show this to any other member of the club should they be requested to do so. If the angler is unable to produce their Membership Card or Day Ticket or is unable to be identified by another Member at the river they must leave the river if requested to do so.
- All litter must be removed when leaving the river (i.e. fishing line etc.) as it is a danger to wildlife.
- Anglers carry responsibility for all aspects of the local environment.
- Anglers must observe good sportsmanship, do not crowd other anglers and respect the wildlife and our neighbours.
- No trespassing on adjoining lands.
- No angler will offer up for sale fish taken from the river.
- All gates must be closed and secured by all anglers after they enter the river and again on departure. This is to protect the river and local livestock.
- Members must report any environmental problems or poaching to 1890 34 74 24 as soon as possible.
- James Robinson, Water Protection Officer from Inland Fisheries is responsible for the River Griese and can be contacted on 087 122 8363.
- Members are encouraged to submit their reports on their catches, offers of help/voluntering/sponsorship, river issues, etc. to the Club either via the website or SMS.
- (086) 604 4820
Rules for Juniors
In addition to the rules for all members, junior members must also abide by the following rules:
- All Junior Members must be accompanied by an adult when on the river.
- All Junior Members must leave the river by 8 pm.
For health and safety reasons, the club committee may introduce or amend rules on a temporary basis. This will normally only be done for health and safety reasons in order to protect the river environment or in order to promote good sportsmanship. All Members and Day Ticket holders will be subject to these additional club rules which may be introduced during the season and posted in local shops and notice boards.